3 chilluns daid after being found unconscious on Coney Island beach, mom in custody

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

3 children dead after being found unconscious on Coney Island beach, mom in custody​

By
Amanda Woods

September 12, 2022 7:34am
Updated

Video shows police & EMT's desperate attempt to save 3 children found unconscious on Coney Island beach

0:00
/
0:50

Three young children have died after they were found unconscious on Coney Island beach early Monday — and police are investigating whether their mother drowned them.
Cops responded to the Brighton Beach boardwalk, near Beach 6th Street, around 3 a.m. after a relative called 911 concerned that a 30-year-old woman might have drowned her kids, authorities said.
A crying, distraught woman talks to cops and firefighters where 3 missing children were found in the water in Coney Island Boardwalk.A distraught woman talks to cops and firefighters where three missing children were found in the water at the Coney Island boardwalk.Robert Mecea An EMS supervisor renders medical attention to an unconscious chlid,  one of the 3 missing children from the water in Coney Island BoardwalkThe children were pronounced dead around 5:38 a.m.Robert Mecea An EMS supervisor renders medical attention to an unconscious chlidAn EMS supervisor gives medical attention to an unconscious child.Robert Mecea Police officers carry one of the 3 missing children from the water in Coney Island Boardwalk at W 35th St. Monday, Sept. 12, 2022.Police officers carry one of the three missing children from the water at the Coney Island boardwalk at West 35th Street on Monday, Sept. 12, 2022.Robert Mecea EMS,  cops and firefighters talk to a person sitting on a bench near the beach where the children were found.EMS, cops and firefighters talk to a person sitting on a bench near the beach where the children were found.Robert Mecea An EMS supervisor renders medical attention to an unconscious chlid,  one of the 3 missing children from the water in Coney Island Boardwalk at  W 35th St. Monday, Sept. 12, 2022, in Brooklyn.  This is child no. 2 of 3 missing children.   A relative called 911 concerned that a 30-year-old woman might have drowned her kids.Robert Mecea
Police searched the area and found the children — a 3-month-old boy, a 4-year-old girl and a 7-year-old boy — on the beach in the vicinity of West 35th Street and the boardwalk.
Distressing photos show first responders carrying the children in their arms.
All three were rushed to Coney Island Hospital, where they were pronounced dead around 5:38 a.m., police said.
Police officers carry one of the 3 missing children from the water in Coney Island Boardwalk at  W 35th St. Monday, Sept. 12, 2022, in Brooklyn.   This is child no. 1 of 3 missing children.    The children’s mother was taken into custody and brought to the 60th Precinct for further investigation. Robert Mecea Police officers carry one of the 3 missing children from the water in Coney Island Boardwalk at  W 35th St. Monday, Sept. 12, 2022, in Brooklyn.   This is child no. 1 of 3 missing children.All three children were rushed to Coney Island Hospital.Robert Mecea An EMS supervisor renders medical attention to an unconscious chlidThree young children have died after they were found unconscious on Coney Island beach.Robert Mecea Police and firefighters  search for the missing children.Police and firefighters search for the missing children.Robert Mecea
The children’s mother, a 30-year-old woman who appeared “despondent,” was taken into custody and brought to the 60th Precinct for further investigation.
No charges were immediately filed, and police were still investigating what happened hours later.

Mom told fambly she drowned her 3 niglets at Coney Island beach​

By
Amanda Woods,

Joe Marino,

Larry Celona and

Gabrielle Fonrouge

September 12, 2022 7:34am
Updated

Video shows police & EMT's desperate attempt to save 3 children found unconscious on Coney Island beach

/

A Brooklyn mom with a history of mental-health issues is suspected of drowning her three young kids on Coney Island beach early Monday — having confessed to kin that she killed them, family and law-enforcement sources said.
Erin Merdy’s tragic children — 3-month-old Oliver, 4-year-old Liliana and 7-year-old Zachary — were discovered unresponsive around 4:40 a.m. along the shoreline at West 35th Street, just three blocks from their mother’s apartment, authorities and law-enforcement sources said.
Merdy, 30, told relatives she “drowned all three kids” and was later found walking along the beach barefoot and in a robe, appearing “despondent,” cops and sources said.
“The mother was soaking wet,” NYPD Chief of Department Kenneth Corey said at a press conference. “Whether she had been out in the rain or whether she had been in the water, again, is all speculative at this point. She was wet, she was barefoot, and she was not communicative to the officers.”
A crying, distraught woman talks to cops and firefighters where 3 missing children were found in the water in Coney Island Boardwalk.A distraught woman talks to cops and firefighters on the Coney Island boardwalk near where three missing children were found along the shore.Robert Mecea
Merdy was initially taken to the 60th Precinct for questioning and then carted off on a stretcher to NYU Langone Hospital in Brooklyn, according to sources and exclusive Post photos and video.
“We’re devastated. They were kids. They were adorable kids,” said Dine Stephen, Merdy’s aunt.
“It’s someone who was struggling, and no one knew how bad the struggle was.”
Stephen said Merdy’s family has a history of mental illness and her niece was “struggling” as “she was trying to find her way through life.”
ZacharyZachary was a “very bubbly kid,” his basketball coach said.Instagram/city-silverbacks An EMS supervisor renders medical attention to an unconscious chlid,  one of the 3 missing children from the water in Coney Island BoardwalkThe children were pronounced dead around 5:38 a.m.Robert Mecea
“In this family we do have a history of mental illness to varying degrees. A few of us have battled with bipolar disorder, but I didn’t know her mental struggles. I just knew she was trying to find a way for her children, a way to get on her feet,” said Stephen.
“She loved her children. She loved her children very much. It was the mental issues that took over.”
An intensive search for the mother and the kids began about three hours before the children were found on the beach, when a relative called police, expressing fears that the mom might have harmed the children, Corey told reporters.

Exclusive video shows mother who drowned kids at Coney Island arriving at Lutheran Medical Center for the psychiatric evaluation

Police responded to the family’s apartment on Neptune Avenue near West 33rd Street around 1:40 a.m., Corey said.

An EMS supervisor renders medical attention to an unconscious chlidAn EMS supervisor gives medical attention to an unconscious child.Robert Mecea

1 of 3

The kids' mother arriving at around 10:15 a.m. at NYU Langone Hospital in Brooklyn.
The kids' mother arriving at around 10:15 a.m. at NYU Langone Hospital in Brooklyn. Paul Martinka

Merdy was initially taken to the 60th Precinct for questioning.
Merdy was initially taken to the 60th Precinct for questioning. Paul Martinka

coney-island-killer-mom-3-1.jpg
A family member said "it was the mental issues that took over." Paul Martinka

No one answered a knock at the door — but officers were met by a father of one of the kids inside the building, Corey said.

He “expressed similar concerns” about the welfare of the mom and kids and said he believed they were on the Coney Island beach, according to Corey.

“I believe that she had called them and made statements to them to that effect,” Corey said of the relatives, when asked why the family members believed the woman would harm her kids.

Law-enforcement sources said numerous family members had called 911 to report Merdy “may have done something to the kids,” might be under the influence of alcohol or drugs and has a history of mental health issues.

Police officers carry one of the 3 missing children from the water in Coney Island Boardwalk at W 35th St. Monday, Sept. 12, 2022.Police officers carry one of the three children from the beach at the Coney Island boardwalk at West 35th Street on Monday, Sept. 12, 2022.Robert Mecea
A relative said the mom admitted she’d “drowned all three kids,” according to sources.

After being directed to the beach to search for the mom and kids, police swarmed the boardwalk, the shoreline and the surrounding streets for about 90 minutes before they received another 911 call sending them to the Brighton Beach boardwalk, near Beach 6th Street, Corey said.

There, cops found Merdy with some of her relatives — but all three kids were nowhere to be found, Corey said.

EMS,  cops and firefighters talk to a person sitting on a bench near the beach where the children were found.EMS, cops and firefighters talk to a person sitting on a bench near the beach where the children were found.Robert Mecea
The search then “intensified,” with the NYPD’s aviation and harbor units helping to scour the area for the missing kids, the police official said.

Authorities made the heartbreaking discovery of the children’s unresponsive bodies about 2 miles from where their mother was found.

“The officers immediately initiated life-saving measures including CPR on the children, and [the kids] were rushed to Coney Island Hospital, where they were regrettably pronounced deceased,” Corey said.

Distressing photos show first responders running through the sand and on the boardwalk, carrying the lifeless children in their arms. Later, Merdy was photographed strapped to a gurney as EMS workers wheeled her into NYU Langone.

1 of 3

Police officers carry one of the 3 missing children from the water in Coney Island Boardwalk at W 35th St. Monday, Sept. 12, 2022, in Brooklyn. This is child no. 1 of 3 missing children.
Police officers carry one of the three missing children from the water at the Coney Island boardwalk. Robert Mecea

An EMS supervisor renders medical attention to an unconscious chlid, one of the 3 missing children from the water in Coney Island Boardwalk at W 35th St. Monday, Sept. 12, 2022, in Brooklyn. This is child no. 2 of 3 missing children.
A relative called 911 concerned that a 30-year-old woman might have drowned her kids. Robert Mecea

Police and firefighters search for the missing children.
Police and firefighters search for the missing children. Robert Mecea

It’s unclear if the mother has a history of abusing or neglecting the three kids, but she did previously have custody disputes with one of the kids’ fathers, law-enforcement sources said.

In July, the dad, who is an air-traffic controller in Virginia, told police Merdy didn’t show up when she was supposed to drop off their son to him for a scheduled custody visit, the sources said. The disposition of the incident is unclear, and it’s also unclear which child wasn’t brought for the visit.

In March 2021, Merdy filed a domestic-incident report against the same father, accusing him of sending verbally abusive text messages and threatening to take her to court for money, sources said.

The father couldn’t immediately be reached for comment.

Police officers carry one of the 3 missing children from the water in Coney Island Boardwalk at  W 35th St. Monday, Sept. 12, 2022, in Brooklyn.   This is child no. 1 of 3 missing children.    The children’s mother was taken into custody and brought to the 60th Precinct for further investigation. Robert Mecea
Alfred Brown, who was little Zachary’s football coach at PS 188, told The Post he’s “devastated” over the kids’ deaths.

“I’m in school with them, I’m on the field with them — I’m damn near their uncle. It’s hard right now… I love every kid that plays for me like my own,” said Brown, who also lives in the same apartment building as the family.

“Zach was a very bubbly kid who was full of life. Just full of energy, you know you’d have to say ‘enough, enough.’ “

The coach said he didn’t know Merdy very well and called her a “very quiet lady.

An EMS supervisor renders medical attention to an unconscious chlidThree young children died after they were found unconscious on Coney Island beach.Robert Mecea
“From what I know she was a good mother. She was always with her children, always with her babies. You never know what people are going through. People mask their depression very well,” he said.

Brown said Zachary didn’t play for the team this year because Merdy thought the season would be during the summer when the kid had plans to visit his father out of state.

“He was supposed to come back this year, but he didn’t,” Brown said of Zachary. “Now I wish I would have had him this year to play for us, maybe it would have helped the parent.

“Everybody at school is a little sad. … We just have to be there for each other.”

Dmitriy Volper, who lives a few doors down from Merdy’s apartment, called the incident “an unspeakable tragedy.

“Sometimes her kids ran in the hallway. They were nice kids. They had a little dog,” said Volper, 78.

Autopsies for the children are under way, and no charges have been filed, sources said.

NYC mom suspected of drowning her 3 kids was facing eviction, battling custody issues​

By
Reuven Fenton,

Jack Morphet and

Gabrielle Fonrouge

September 12, 2022 6:30pm
Updated

Exclusive video shows mother who drowned kids at Coney Island arriving at Lutheran Medical Center for the psychiatric evaluation

The Brooklyn mom suspected of drowning her three young children Monday was facing eviction from her apartment, battling custody issues and grappling with mental health woes before she allegedly killed the kids, The Post has learned.
Erin Merdy, 30, of Coney Island owed more than $10,000 in back rent for her Neptune Avenue apartment, where she lived with her children, and had been threatened with getting booted out since January, after the state’s COVID-19 eviction moratorium expired, court records show.
The mom, who allegedly told kin she drowned her kids — 3-month-old Oliver, 4-year-old Liliana and 7-year-old Zachary – on a nearby beach early Monday, had stopped paying her $1,531-a-month rent in July 2021 and was served with an eviction notice days before the moratorium expired in January, records show.
Relatives reached by The Post on Monday said Merdy appeared unstable in recent years and had trouble maintaining consistent relationships.
“There was a time when Erin and I were in contact all the time, but in 2015, 2016, she disappeared off the Earth. I didn’t know how to get in touch with her,” Merdy’s uncle, Levy Stephen, told the Post.
“Now I’m faulting myself for that. She obviously needed help, and you can’t help but think, ‘Maybe I could have…’
Erin Merdy,Erin Merdy was struggling with her mental health and facing a custody battle.Paul Martinka Erin Merdy,The mother of three was backed up in rent since last year.Paul Martinka
“I’m at a loss for words. It’s not every day you lose three family members in one day,” he said. “Nobody wants to go to the funeral and see those three bodies.”
Another uncle, Jean Stephen, 64, said Merdy didn’t appear to “have her life together.
“I don’t think she could handle a relationship or anything like that. She didn’t seem like she was that kind of person. She didn’t seem like she was stable,” the relative said.
“Anybody can go out and just fool around, but a person that’s stable can settle down with one person. She didn’t have her life together enough to do that.”
Around 1 a.m. Monday, concerned relatives called police to report Merdy might be drunk and might have done something to harm her children. Hours later, the mom was found by police walking barefoot through the sand on the Coney Island beach, wearing a bathrobe and appearing dazed.
Police officers carry one of the 3 missing childrenPolice officers discover one of the three children who were allegedly harmed by their mother. Robert Mecea An EMS supervisor renders medical attention to one of the children.An EMS supervisor renders medical attention to one of the children.Robert Mecea A person at the sceneFamily members of Merdy admit they were aware of her endless struggles.Robert Mecea 3-month-old Oliver, 4-year-old Liliana and 7-year-old ZacharyMerdy allegedly drowned her three children — Oliver, Liliana and Zachary (pictured).Instagram/city-silverbacks
Law enforcement sources said that before cops found her, she told relatives she “drowned all three kids.” The children were later found unresponsive along the shoreline, just three blocks from their home on Neptune Avenue, and pronounced dead at Coney Island Hospital soon after.

Merdy’s aunt Dine Stephen said she knew her niece was struggling — but wasn’t aware just how badly.
“I knew she was struggling in the sense she was trying to find her way through life. In this family we do have a history of mental illness to varying degrees. A few of us have battled with bipolar disorder, but I didn’t know her mental struggles,” the aunt said.
“I just knew she was trying to find a way for her children, a way to get on her feet. … It was the mental issues that took over.”
Another uncle, Eddy Stephen, said he was “speechless” when he heard from relatives that “Erin killed her three children.
“She did a little crazy stuff, but nothing that would lead to harming her children or herself,” Eddy said.
“She used to like to party here and there, do a little drinking, but I didn’t see any drug abuse or see that she was really irresponsible. It’s just tragic. I don’t know. She never gave us the sign that she would hurt her children. She loved her children.”
Erin MerdyRelatives notified the police Merdy might have harmed her children. Paul Martinka
Merdy’s uncle Levy said his niece was in the midst of a custody dispute with 7-year-old Zachary’s father before Monday’s horror.
“He had issues with the way she was raising the child, from what I understand,” Levy said.
“She kind of went off the grid after that, changed her numbers. She wasn’t on social media — at least not to the point that I could find her.”
Crime scenePolice investigate the tragic crime scene. Robert Mecea
Law enforcement sources noted Merdy had failed to bring her son to a custody exchange in July ahead of a six-week visit planned with the kid’s father.
In May, Merdy pulled Zachary off his youth football team without explanation, according to his coach.
“She never gave a flat-out answer of why he stopped playing,” C.I.T.Y. Silverbacks football team head coach Allen McFarland told The Post. “She seemed as if she was juggling a lot.”
During the 2021 football season, coaches in the youth mentorship sports program regularly picked up Zachary for practice, fed him dinner after games and dropped him home, said McFarland, 34.
They tried to convince Merdy to bring Zachary, who McFarland said loved football, back to the team, to no avail.
“We felt it would be a positive thing for him, to get him out of the house and involved,” the head coach said. “We practice four times a week for three hours a day. That would have been a good relief for the household.”
The children’s exact cause of death has yet to be determined.
McFarland choked back tears imagining the terror Zachary must have endured at the end of his life.
“The person you should trust the most in the world is your mom,” he said. “A 7-year-old would have been excited to go to the beach. I can only imagine what that kid was thinking in that moment.”
The coach broke the tragic news to the boy’s former teammates at practice Monday night. The young football players released balloons with Zachary’s jersey number 15 into the sky over Coney Island and yelled “Zachary, we love you” as a final goodbye.
No charges have been filed against Merdy, who was transported to NYU Langone Hospital late Monday morning for a psychiatric evaluation.
“How does she come back from this? Even if you get your mind back, how do you get over the fact that you killed your children?” Levy said.
“That’s a shadow that’s going to be over her for the rest of her life. That’s what I’m worried about. I don’t think there’s a support group for people who commit such a heinous crime. Are there people who are functional that have done this?”

Last edited:

Drowning deaths of 3 kids on Coney Island beach ruled homicides: medical examiner​

By
Allie Griffin

September 13, 2022 8:33pm
Updated

/
0:36

The drowning deaths of three young children on a Coney Island beach were ruled homicides, the city Medical Examiner said Tuesday, as their mother remained hospitalized after allegedly confessing to the crimes.
The siblings, 7-year-old Zachary Merdy, 4-year-old Liliana Stephen and 3-month-old Oliver Bondarev, were discovered unresponsive along the shoreline at West 35th Street around 4:40 a.m. Monday after a frantic manhunt sparked by mom Erin Merdy’s troubling behavior.
Merdy, 30, allegedly told relatives she drowned her children — who were rushed to the hospital Monday, but couldn’t be saved.
Surveillance video captured the mom of three walking from her apartment with her children in tow just after midnight. Merdy was holding baby Oliver, while Zachary and Lillyana walked beside her and the four entered the boardwalk area of the beach around 12:50 a.m. together.
About 45 minutes later, Merdy is caught on surveillance footage again near West 8th Street and Riegalman Boardwalk West without her kids, the sources said.
1_th.jpg

00:02 01:01
The mother had a history of mental illness including bipolar schizophrenia, relatives and police sources told The Post, and she may have been suffering from postpartum depression, according to law enforcement sources.

Cops are seeking to determine if her mental issues, especially postpartum psychosis, brought on by postpartum depression, were a factor in the kids’ tragic deaths, the sources said.

Erin Merdy on a stretcher Erin Merdy, who was suffering from mental illness, allegedly told relatives she drowned her three young children in the waters off Coney Island Monday. Paul Martinka
In the early morning hours on Monday, relatives of Merdy called 911 after growing concerned about her irrational behavior and the safety of the three children over alarming texts they received from her.

Cops headed over to Merdy’s apartment to conduct a wellness check, but the apartment door was unlocked and no one was home, police said.

Just after 3 a.m., Merdy’s boyfriend and the father of baby Oliver called 911 and told police he too was concerned about how she acted earlier at his apartment and said she appeared dazed and delirious. He added he was also concerned that Merdy had harmed the kids and that he believed they were on Coney Island beach.

Soon after, cops located Merdy, her boyfriend, and her sister near Brighton 6th Street and found the mom barefoot, soaking wet and in a bathrobe, appearing disoriented and unable to answer questions.

Her children were nowhere in sight, leading the NYPD’s harbor and aviation units to conduct a frantic search for the missing kids across the beach.

First responders carry one of Erin Merdy's children (whose body has been blurred) off the beach at night.The City Medical Examiner concluded that all three children died by drowning and declared their deaths homicides Tuesday. Robert Mecea Two police officers carry one of Erin Merdy's children (whose body has been blurred) off the beach at night.The children were found unresponsive on the beach after a massive search effort early Monday. Robert Mecea
Around 4:40 a.m., cops made the heartbreaking discovery of their bodies in the sand on the shoreline near West 35th Street, about two miles from where the mom was found and just three blocks from their home on Neptune Avenue.

They were transported to Coney Island Hospital where they were pronounced dead.

The mom is currently facing eviction from her Neptune Avenue apartment, according to court records and was facing a custody dispute over her oldest child with his father.

Derrick Merdy, the father of little Zachary and mom Erin Merdy’s ex-husband, said his son was often dirty and hungry when he picked him up for visits.

“She makes me starve,” the child told his dad, according to an interview the father gave to The New York Times.

Merdy was transported late Monday morning to NYU Langone hospital in Brooklyn for a psychiatric evaluation and remained there Tuesday.

She has yet to be charged in connection with what is now a homicide investigation, but if she is, she could face a bedside arraignment.

Back