‘My mother shot me’: NYC man accuses mom in shooting before dying

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

‘My mother shot me’: NYC man accuses mom in shooting before dying​

By
Amanda Woods

November 8, 2022 1:30pm
Updated

A man gunned down by his mom during a fight outside their Brooklyn home gasped to arriving cops, “My mother shot me, I’m dying” — and has now succumbed to his wounds, police said Tuesday.
Christopher Jenkins, 28, was involved in a feud with his 44-year-old mom, Vanessa Jenkins, outside their Crown Heights home around 9:50 p.m. Oct. 12 when the woman pulled out a handgun and shot her son twice in the head, according to cops and a criminal complaint.
When police showed up at the scene, the wounded man cried, “My mother shot me, I’m dying,” according to the complaint, which cites a lieutenant’s body-camera footage.
Police at the sceneA man was shot by his mom outside their home.Gregory P. Mango Cops investigate shooting.Cops investigate shooting scene where mom shot son twice in his head.Gregory P. Mango
He was rushed to the Kings County Hospital Center in critical condition and kept on life support until he succumbed to his injuries Oct. 24, said cops and the complaint.
His death has been ruled a homicide, according to authorities.
Vanessa Jenkins was initially arrested a day after the shooting and arraigned on charges of attempted murder, criminal possession of a weapon and criminal possession of a firearm.
Cop stands at crime scene.NYPD officer outside home where son was shot and killed. Gregory P. Mango Detectives at scene of fatal shooting.Charges could be upgraded against mom.Gregory P. Mango

She is claiming self-defense, with her son, a suspected Crips gang member, allegedly choking her before she shot him, law-enforcement sources told The Post.

It’s unclear what the dispute-turned-deadly was about.

The victim had 16 previous arrests, including for robbery, sources said.

The mom was ordered held on $500,000 cash bail or $1 million bond during the arraignment, the Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office said.

A spokesman for the DA’s office said he was unable to comment Tuesday on whether the charges against the mom would be upgraded now that her son has died, as that would be handled by a grand jury.

Brooklyn mother shot son to death in Crown Heights during argument over booze, weed: neighbor​

By Emma Seiwell
New York Daily News

Nov 09, 2022 at 5:45 pm

A Brooklyn man who was shot to death by his own mother was whacked over weed, according to a neighbor.
Christopher Jenkins, 28, just wanted to relax when he arrived at the Crown Heights home he shared with his mother around 10 p.m on Oct. 12.
But Jenkins’ mother insisted he run back out and get her some booze and a bag of weed — and when he said, “No,” things quickly got heated, the neighbor said.
“He just came home from work and he said to his mom, ‘I don’t feel like going out. I just got home from work. Can you give me a break?’ Something like that,” according to the neighbor, who did not want to be named.
“I was here when it happened. I was asleep, they woke me up. They were arguing.”
Christopher Jenkins died after being shot in the head by his mother during a clash in their Brooklyn home on Pacific St. near Utica Ave. in Crown Heights about 9:50 p.m. on Oct. 12, 2022.

Christopher Jenkins died after being shot in the head by his mother during a clash in their Brooklyn home on Pacific St. near Utica Ave. in Crown Heights about 9:50 p.m. on Oct. 12, 2022.
The rattled neighbor said she heard the dispute on the other side of thin walls that offer little privacy.
She also heard the gunshots, and the commotion that followed.
“I heard two gunshots,” she said. “The arguing first, and then the shots. I was scared. I was scared. I closed my door. The police told me I had to come out of the building. My son came and got me and we were outside. It was cold. I had no socks on.”

Cops arrested Vanessa Jenkins, 44, and charged her with attempted murder, weapon possession and criminal use of a firearm. She is being held at Rikers Island on bail of either $500,000 cash or $1 million bond.
Cops arrested Vanessa Jenkins, 44, and charged her with attempted murder, weapon possession and criminal use of a firearm. She is being held on Rikers Island on a $1 million bond.

Cops arrested Vanessa Jenkins, 44, and charged her with attempted murder, weapon possession and criminal use of a firearm. She is being held on Rikers Island on a $1 million bond.
According to a criminal complaint, Vanessa Jenkins shot her son in the head after a “confrontation.”
Medics rushed Jenkins, a father of two, to Kings County Hospital, where he underwent emergency surgery and was put on life support. He died there on Oct. 24, authorities said.
His mother could face upgraded charges in the wake of her son’s death.
The shaken neighbor said Jenkins didn’t refuse his mother’s request. He just told her he wanted to rest first.
“He said to her, ‘Mom, I’m not going right now. I’ll go later on. Just let me rest,” the neighbor said. “He said, ‘I’m gonna wait til later. Stop playing around.’ She said, ‘You gotta go now I need it.’ I remember I heard that. ‘Go,’ she said to him.”
Another neighbor said the suspected shooter was so callous that she dragged her son out of the building, stepped over his body and walked away as cops were arriving.

Police said mother and son had a history of prior arrests.

NYPD officers respond to the Jenkins' home on Pacific St. in Brooklyn on Wednesday, Oct. 12, 2022.

NYPD officers respond to the Jenkins' home on Pacific St. in Brooklyn on Wednesday, Oct. 12, 2022. (Jeff Bachner/for New York Daily News)
Another neighbor said she had a run-in with the victim about a week and a half before he died. She said Jenkins blocked the driveway with his car and refused to move. When her husband told Jenkins he was acting like an idiot, he walked over to confront him while reaching in his pocket, she said.

She said their daughter pulled her husband back inside.

The neighbor said the mother wasn’t any nicer.

“I heard her one night,” she said. “A lot of obscenities. She was cussing someone out. I don’t know who it was. I couldn’t see. She was saying, ‘Don’t F with me. You don’t know who the F I am! I’m gonna F you up.’”

The neighbor who overheard the weed argument said she couldn’t believe how quickly it escalated.

“That’s crazy, man,” she said. “Why you wanna kill your son? Why?! Give me a why. Why you gonna do something like that? I’d kill myself.”

Back